I read a post from Christy Wright today. While she makes some good points about putting effort towards the actual business rather than the PR early on, I think there's a large disclaimer that needs to be added.
Please do not send me to your Facebook page if you:
- Do any sort of consulting
- Write software
- Want my personal information
- Charge more than $4 0/hr for your services
- Expect me to trust you with a large amount of money, my health, or any of my children
Feel free to send me to your Facebook page if you:
- Are in personal services: restaurants, haircuts, landscaping, etc
- Are a grassroots movement
- Are a non-legal entity (e.g. just a group of people that use it to organize themselves)
- Don't have any large aspirations for your company
Anybody can create a Facebook page. While websites are getting easier to create, it's still a great signal to your consumers that you are serious about your business and are successful enough to warrant building a website.